Now I'm here to proclaim that I am taking charge again. Except this time I'm only taking charge of me. This time I'm going to take care of me so that I can better take care (not take charge) of the ones I love.
Here are my 10 Commandments to myself:
- I will not put God at the end of my "To-Do" lists. I will make Him a central part of my life through prayer, Bible reading, small group, and church.
- I will not bury what I am thinking or feeling because I think by doing so I will save someone else from being hurt. I will however work on sharing my feelings in an appropriate, loving way at an appropriate time.
- I will not let the opinions (or preceived opinions) of others dictate how I feel about myself. I will focus on the qualities and characteristics in me that I know are positive, and I will find value, happiness, and love for myself.
- I will not be afraid to try new things. I will take on new challenges even at the risk of failure.
- I will not take my friends or family for granted. I will lean on them for support and understanding when I need it, and I will take every opportunity to let them know how much I love and appreciate them.
- I will not place impossible expectations on my children. I will let them be kids and take care of business accordingly.
- I will not want for things I do not need or let a sense of entitlement take control of my life. I will focus on the things I do have and thank God every day for the blessings He has given to me and my family.
- I will not criticize my body anymore. I will however work hard to take better care of it by exercising regularly and using some self-control with food.
- I will not make excuses for not doing the things I love. I will make time to work on my photography skills, read, scrapbook, blog, and play the clarinet.
- I will not obsess about the state of my house. I will get things done when I can, and I will delegate and ask for help as needed.