Wednesday, March 20, 2013

the one about how I'm going to try to rectify the fact that I have failed

Soooo....Love Life, Live Lent.  Haven't done a post about it in awhile, because well, we haven't been doing it.  Like, at all.  I'm not really sure what happened...we just got busy and forgetful...  I feel really, really bad about this, and I'd like to "fix" it the best I can at this point.  This means picking up where we left off so to speak.  Clearly, there is not enough time between now and Easter to do all of the activities, but there is time to do a few!

Over the next week and a half, I'm going to hop and skip around through are little booklet hitting as many of the activities as possible!  And I'm still going to try to blog about as many as possible just as a way to keep a record of what we have done during this season.  Our Love Life, Live Lent project won't be accomplished the way it was planned out, but it will be done the way it was meant to be!

Before the wheels came completely off the wagon, we had done the following two days of activities...way back around the end of February...

BE MORE THANKFUL
 
'O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever.'
1 Chronicles 16.34
 
"Saying 'please' and 'thank you' can appear to be just about being polite but it is much more important than that.  The trick lies not just in saying 'thank you' but in being thankful.  The more thankful we are, the more we are able to recognize the many good things that God (and others) have done for us.  Saying grace before meals gives us a chance not only to say thank you but to practise being thankful too, so...be more thankful."
 
Monday's Activity:  Say thank you to God for one of your meals today
 
I didn't grow up saying a prayer before meals.  I mean, I remember being really little and going to my grandma's house for a holiday (back when the whole family could actually fit around one table) and everyone saying a prayer, but it wasn't something that was done regularly.  At the beginning of the year, I decided that I was going to make more of an effort to pray before meals and teach my children to pray before meals.  I not only wanted to express more thanks to God in my daily life, but I also wanted to teach my boys the importance of expressing true thanks.  Since then, we've been doing a pretty good job of saying a prayer before dinner (the one meal we all sit down to together).  Both Logan and Gavin have gotten so used to it already, that they both ask to say the prayer.  Sometimes they even have to remind me!  It was extra special to get to sit down with them at this particular dinner and talk about the day's lesson and again explain why prayer and thanksgiving are so important!
 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BE MORE FRIENDLY
 
'you shall love your neighbour as yourself...'
Leviticus 19.18
 
"One of the more challenging things that Jesus did in his teaching was to strech the meaning of who our neighbours are.  The book of Liviticus had already stretched it from the people who are just like you to outsiders who live in your land; in the story of the Good Samaritan jesus stretched it even further to include those whom we might count as our enemies.  Loving your neighbour invloves far, far more than just being friendly, but it's not a bad place to start, so...be more friendly."
 
Tuesday's Activity:  Be friendly to someone new
 
I took the boys to McDonalds to eat and play in the play place today, and that presented the perfect opportunity for them to be friendly to someone new!  Both boys are really, really great about being friendly and playing with who ever.  Logan is especially great at this - he's so social!  In fact, he gets upset when we got to play places and there isn't anyone new there to play with!  I loved sitting back and watching my kiddos run and play with a couple of other children about their age.  I - the total introvert - even attempted to make nice with another set of parents there!  It was such a fun experience - something I'm glad comes easily to my children and hope always does!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment