Monday, January 23, 2012

Couch to 5k ~ Week Five

I know, I know!  I should have been done with week five a week ago, but I wasn't.  And it is not entirely my fault, I promise.  I lost one running day to icy/snowy/coldest-day-yet-this-winter, and after that I had some trouble rediscovering my motivation for doing all of this running stuff.  But, I had a pep talk with myself and last Tuesday I was back at it (meaning I had to start Week Five over).

This was a strange/fun week in the sense that none of the days were the same.  On Tuesday/Day One I had to run 3 five minute sets with 3 minutes of rest between each one.  I honestly thought I was going to die.  It was awful!  Which was crazy because I've had to run five minutes straight before.  I guess I'll blame it on the mental block and the fact that I forgot my iPod and had to run with out music to distract me.

On Thursday/Day Two I had to run 8 minutes and then walk for five minutes and then jog for 8 minutes again.  This day went really well.  I barely felt the run.  (Probably because my personal life had just blown up in my face and the run was a great place to channel all of the excess emotion.)  I even was able to run a little over 3/4 of mile in each of my 8 minute sets.  I know that is not at all impressive in the grand scope of things, but for me - who is the slowest runner ever - it was quite an accomplishment.

Saturday was Day Three of the week.  It was a twenty minute run - straight, NO stopping!  It was cold out (like 20 degrees and hey - that's cold for around here expecially this winter), and I had to talk my self into going out as soon as Justin got up and took over watching the kids.  I was really dreading it - not sure if I could do it; if I was up to it.  But....I did it!  And I did the last seven minutes with out music because my darn iPod died even though I had just charged it!  And you know what?  It was fine this time with out music.  The run was great, and I felt good after it was done.

Now it is on to Week Six - finally! - so pray the good weather holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment