Friday, August 19, 2011

A Smashing Good Time

My parents came down to visit us this past weekend because Gavin's first birthday was coming up and they wanted to be around to help celebrate.  I took this as an opportunity to do something daring and messy...two things I normally never do (I'm not daring and I don't like messes).

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a cheap table cloth and one of those small round cakes they sell in the bakery.  Then I set everything up on the front sidewalk...and I let Gavin have at it!


He was hesitant at first...he needed some time to figure out what I had set in front of him and that yes, it was food, and that yes, it did taste good.

Logan was itching to get in on the action and Gavin was a little confused on what was supposed to be happening, so I let Logan hope in the picture and show Gavin how to properly smash a birthday cake!

After a little help from his big brother Gavin knew just what to do...and he did it very well!

Except he couldn't quite forget about that interesting yellow thing we had originally had on top of the cake (the candle), and he quickly went looking for it...and tried to put it back on the cake!


Once we took the candle away again he went back to eating the cake...and making an even bigger mess!


After a little while Gavin needed to take a break from eating cake so that he could start flinging cake.


Then it was time to go back to eating cake...after all there was plenty of it stuck to his hands after the Great Cake Fling.

Of course he couldn't stay put.  He kept crawling down the sidewalk...

...and then coming back for another bite!

As you can see there wasn't much left of the cake when it was all over...and not only was Gavin a mess, but so was Logan!

In the end I would say our first cake smash was a roaring success for everyone...except maybe the cake...

1 comment: