Last week Gavin went from being nine months old to ten months old, and I'm left sitting here wondering where the last ten months have gone. How could they have passed so quickly?
He's been sick again (sore throat this time), but seems to be shaking it now, so I took him outside to capture him. He held up pretty well...until the end...
....this face is one we're coming to know very well because as he grows bigger each day, he gets more opinionated as well. And when he doesn't get what he wants right now he can throw a mighty tantrum! But really, most of the time Gavin is one very happy baby.
Here are a few other things that have changed in the last month:
- He's crossed into the 17 lbs. range (we know 'cuz he's been to the doctor three times this month!)
- He has just six teeth now (and you can see each and every one of them in the picture above), but his two front teeth have come in far enough now that he no longer looks like he has fangs.
- He can go from his tummy to sitting up now.
- He took off crawling (just yesterday morning in fact) though he still prefers to pretend that he can't crawl and will throw a fit rather than crawl the two feet over to me (I told you he was throwing tantrums!).
- He's learning to pull himself up, but can only do it on low objects and is still very wobbly once he does get on his two little feet!
Gavin is aquiring some new table manners too...
- He eats a jar of baby food for breakfast...but the rest of the day forget it. He's on to table food!
- Bread was his first food...
- And he likes everything! There isn't a cracker he won't eat, and he's also eating chicken nuggets, PB & J, grilled cheese, noodles, peas, carrots, corn, watermelon...basically anthing I can give him that he can chew up!
- We're done nursing (Boo! Yay! I have mixed feeling here...if you can't tell...). I'm not even sure what day he nursed last (sometime last week). In the end, he just lost interest, and I let him.
- He's drinking a mixture of formula and breast milk (frozen of course), but he only takes three - sometimes four - bottles a day.
- We're working on the sippy cup with him. He'll hold it himself, but has trouble tipping it enough to get the juice to fill up the spout. It causes much frustration on both our parts!
Gavin is now what I'd call a sleeping champion!
- Finally, finally, he is sleeping through the night. Bed time is still usually between 6:30 and 7:00, and typically he doesn't wake up before 6:00 a.m.
- When he does wake up in the morning he will actually entertain himself in his crib for up to half an hour!!!!!
- Naps are pretty solid now too. There's a morning nap - usually around nine - and an afternoon nap starting somewhere around 12:30.
- And the best part (or maybe saddest...more mixed feelings here) is that he can put himself to sleep all by himself. He doesn't need to be rocked anymore...(like I said, mixed feelings)
- He is still a very easy going baby. He's usually calm and more than ready to go with the flow (i.e. We drag him around Springfield all day during which he doesn't nap and yet he's still pretty happy. 'Course we can't do this two days in a row...).
- While he is calm most of the time, when he gets mad, boy does he show it! (I mentioned the temper tantrums right?) He's got a screech that is the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard for me, and he can keep it going for awhile!
- He can be really silly at times - making funny faces and noises, but he also has really serious moments where you can just see him taking in everything he sees and trying to figure it all out.
- His like and dislikes are becoming very evident. For instance "likes" include music, Dada's guitar, and any toy that plays music. Also a "like" is any toy of Logan's. "Dislikes" include rattles, teething rings, his jumper, and anything else than can be classified a "baby" toy. Also a "dislike" is formula/breast milk served too cold.
And just because I have so many great pictures of Gavin here are a few more...
Ten months...it's been an amazing journey. And while I'm sad to see these moments go I can't help but be excited for what the future is bringing for this little boy!