Wednesday, November 7, 2012

i voted and it seems wrong not to say something about it

I did my civic duty yesterday.  Exercised one of my rights as an American citizen.  I voted.


And I don't really want to talk about it.  Typically I try to keep my political views to myself.  After all, they are mine and not really anyone elses business.  It wouldn't be so bad, except every four years people get pretty ugly - especially if we don't see eye to eye.  And trust me, I don't see eye to eye with nearly 50% of the public - I think the polls this year proved that one with out a doubt.

But, at the same time, it seems wrong to just move on like nothing happened yesterday.  Like it or not (and about 50% of the population does not like it while the other about 50% are thrilled), something monumental happened yesterday.  Once again, as American citizens, we got to go out and vote for "our guy" (or "person" if you'd prefer).  That's not something everyone in this world gets to do.  It's a privilege.  One I'm grateful for.  One I think needs recognition.  So, I'm going to talk about voting yesterday.

Before I let you know how I voted, I want to make a point of stating that first of all, I don't consider myself one party or the other.  I'm ridiculously moderate.  I don't care what party a person represents, and I don't much care what they have to say when they are on the campaign trail.  What I care about is what they do.  You know that old saying "actions speak louder than words"?  Yeah, that's how I decide who I'm voting for.  I look at the person's past actions, and then I decide from there.  Sometimes that means I vote Republican.  Sometimes that means I vote Democrat.  Just depends.

So, yesterday, I went to the polls after work, but before I picked up the boys.  I was ballot #1333 at my particular poll.  I filled out my ballot, fed it into the machine, and left.  From there, I basically did not think about the election again.  Justin checked on the progress a couple of times, but it was only eight o'clock at night, so really there was no telling what was going to happen at that point.  I was in bed by 8:45 and that was that.

This morning I got up, brushed my teeth, and then decided to check the internet, and... "my guy," umm, yeah, he didn't win...  And since I'm a gracious loser *ahem*...I dressed in all black today.  And then I picked out black pants and a black shirt for Gavin.  Then I asked Logan if I could pick out his clothes, too.  He said yes, so I rummaged around until I had him dressed in black from head to toe.


Okay, so maybe I'm a poor loser...  In fact, I'm not just a poor loser.  I'm a really, really bad loser.  Just ask my brother and sister - goodness knows they've played enough games with me over the years to be expert witnesses to my sulking.  So, basically, I strongly prefer winning, but who doesn't?

But, at the same time, I am a reasonably mature adult.  I promise.  The truth is I think my pastor summed it up best on facebook:
When the sun rises in the morning, America will still be a nation with significant challenges to deal with. While the ideologies may differ, the fight now is to find common ground to work from. We should all pray for the future of our nation, and that our leaders will in Gov. Romney's words "put political posturing aside and work for the good of the people".

In the end, I just want what is best for this country and can do nothing but exercise my right to vote and trust that God has got this.  I am praying for our country, for our President, for our members of Congress, and all of our state leaders.  I pray that they can come up with plans that will truly benefit America's people. 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 Philippians 4:6-7

P.S.  I promise I'll be back to wearing colors other than black tomorrow...and so will my children!

P.P.S.  You don't have to agree with me.  I don't mind.  Just don't be ugly.  I do mind that!

No comments:

Post a Comment